Teenager who ‘died twice’ during heart surgery is fighting for his lif…

Teenager who ‘died twice’ during heart surgery is fighting for his lif…

A teenager is battling for his life after he “died twice” during an operation which took up to 19 hours to replace a faulty heart valve.

Brooklyn Peakman, aged 19, is on life sustain at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham after a heart operation “didn’t go according to plan”.

Brooklyn, from Prestatyn in Wales, was born with a faulty heart and had to undergo a major heart procedure when he was just 12 hours old, and again when he was a day old, reports North Wales Live.

His mum Kelly was warned at the time that he may not survive but he thankfully did, although the family were always aware that he would require surgery as he got older.

Read More Related Articles

Following a six month check up earlier this year, Brooklyn was told that he needed surgery to install a mechanical valve as soon as possible.

The keen footballer has spent the last two months at the hospital waiting for the operation.

Five times he was wheeled down to surgery but every time it was cancelled at the last minute due to someone else needing an intensive care bed more urgently.

Brooklyn Peakman, who lives in Prestatyn, was born with a faulty heart valve (Image: North Wales Live) Read More Related Articles

Family friend Hayley Roberts said it has been a very tough time for the teenager mentally, and said he’d told his mum that he was “scared” he wouldn’t survive the operation.

He has with him a teddy bear that he’d been given as a newborn when he underwent his first operation for good luck.

The surgery went ahead on Tuesday but the operation that was supposed to take 12 hours turned into 19 hours, as medics told a devastated Kelly that Brooklyn’s heart was a lot more damaged than they had expected.

Kelly closest drove down to Birmingham to be with her son and was “clearly going out of her mind with worry”, Hayley said.

Brooklyn as a baby (Image: North Wales Live)

“She rang me up in tears at 4.30am yesterday saying the operation hadn’t gone well and that the medics had lost Brooklyn twice and had to revive him”.

Hayley additional: “I’ve been updated this morning and Kelly told me he’s in a stable condition, and he’s coughed up blood which believe it or not is a good sign as it shows brain activity.”

Read More Related Articles

Hayley has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for the family. It has already raised £1,470 in 24 hours.

Brooklyn has with him a teddy bear in intensive care for good luck (Image: North Wales Live)

“I’ve set it up as Kirsty really doesn’t have a lot of money, she works as a housekeeper at the Spire Abergele consultants rooms in Abergele and does a bit of karaoke in Prestatyn,” Hayley

“She really doesn’t want to be seen to be asking for money but no one should have to worry about paying for bills when their son is so poorly.”

Hayley additional: “Brooklyn is a really lovely lad, and although he never looked unwell his mum said he always hid his illness as he didn’t want to be seen any different to his friends.

“Kelly has a heart of gold and no family should have to go by this especially just before Christmas.

“We thought he’d have the operation and be home for Christmas Eve.”

Visit here to make a donation to the fundraising page.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Click: See details

leave your comment