Home Improvements That Will Help Conserve Energy
Energy deregulation has provided consumers in various states across the country the strength to select their electricity provider. This is true in the state of Texas where consumers can choose which Texas electric company will strength their home or business. Texans have an option to choose an electricity plan from several electricity providers’, they also have a choice and option to select an electricity plan that supports energy developed using different or environmental friendly method.
However, despite this freedom to select an electricity provider, there is a need to conserve energy and this can be done by having an energy-efficient home. New and modern homes have already embraced green building methods during the initial construction phase, but owners of older homes can increase their energy efficiency by making basic home improvements and changes.
What are the Biggest Energy Drainers in a Home?
Depending on which state you live in, heating and cooling are the number one energy-drainers in a typical home. Many homeowners lose hundreds of dollars each year due to fractures, openings and inefficient windows and doors in their homes.
Old appliance, particularly those 10 years or older are electric strength guzzers and not very energy efficient. Appliances have gone more energy-efficient over the years, sometimes as much as 50%. Lighting is another source of energy losses in a home, particularly those homes nevertheless using incandescent bulbs.
What Improvements can be done to Help Conserve Energy?
Consumers can follow these suggested home improvements that can help lower their electricity bills and help conserve energy:
* Changing windows can help enhance the heat loss and exchange in a home. Old windows have single glass panes, but the more energy-efficient windows use double-glass panes with insulators in-between or special coatings/ glazed that will help decline or stop air leaks.
* Replace old appliances with Energy-star compliant units to assure better energy-efficiency which will help you decline your electricity bills.
* Doors can be replaced or alternation to make them more energy-efficient. This can be done by improving seals around the doors that would prevent heated or cold air from passing by.
* Some households may not be able to provide certain changes in the home like replacing windows, doors and appliances, but they can perform simple home modifications that can help reduce energy consumption. Caulking or weather stripping doors, windows and other openings in the home can help already out the temperature in the homes. Coverings on floors and windows are other improvements that are cost-effective but provide good results.
* Change incandescent bulbs with the more energy-efficient compact fluorescent lights or the new LED-based lighting systems obtainable in the market today. These new generation of lights can save as much as 70% in energy consumption and costs, and will last much longer than ordinary light bulbs.
* Smart and efficient usage of home appliances can help you save on electrical cost and help conserve energy. One example is your refrigerator, which can manager keeping your food fresh already if turned up a little to 37 degrees. Set your AC to 76 degrees, use ceiling fans to cool your home is more energy efficient than turning you thermostats to complete blast.
If you live in Texas you can shop for a electric plan that best meets your individual needs.